Tanggal 6 April menandai satu lagi milestone bagi Qatar dan dunia LNGnya. Hari itu, Qatar Emir, HH Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani meresmikan train LNG terbesar dunia, Qatargas 2 Project, bukti nyata komitmen Qatar untuk memenuhi permintaan yang semakin tumbuh terhadap energy yang bersih dan handal.
Qatargas 2 Project merupakan fully integrated value chain LNG venture pertama di dunia. Qatargas 2 Project meliputi 3 platform baru di North Field dengan 30 sumur, 2 wet-gas subsea pipeline, dua train LNG (Train 4 and 5) yang masing-masing berkapasitas 7.8 million tones per annum (mtpa), 0.85 mtpa LPG, dan 140,000 bpd of condensate, three storage tanks, power utilities and water injection systems, a fleet of 14 ships and a receiving terminal. Venture ini menyatukan beberapa shareholders: QP, ExxonMobil di Train 4 dan QP, ExxonMobil, dan Total di Train 5.Uniknya di dalam venture bernilai $13.2 billion ini sebenarnya terdapat 15 mega projects dalam scopenya. Dengan Qatargas 2, Qatar akan mampu memenuhi hampir 20% kebutuhan gas UK sebagai market utama selain Europe. South Hook terminal di UK dibangun sebagai terminal penerima tanker LNG dari Qatargas 2. Project dimulai dengan agreement antara UK dan Qatar tentang jual beli gas di tahun 2002. Ditindaklanjuti dengan FEED award di bulan July 2003 lalu Offshore and Onshore EPC award ke Technip dan Chiyoda pada December 2005. Sementara, peletakan batu pertama dilakukan pada February 2005. Sumber gas didapat dari pengeboran 30 sumur dari 3 platform baru di North Field, Qatar.
Berikut beberapa fakta menarik mengenai Qatargas 2 Project:
- 30,000 people from 50 nationalities worked to create Qatargas 2.
- Qatargas 2 contains enough cable to stretch from Doha to London.
- Every month, 11.2 million man hours were worked on site.
- Consumption of: 31,000,000 gals of water, 3,000,000 litres of diesel, 1200 trucks of sandand 300 trucks of cement.
- The two trains are powered by a state-of-the-art generating unit producing 200 megawatts of electricity, enough power to run a small town.
- Over 300,000 separate systematic tests were carried out before commissioning each train.
- The natural gas is reduced to 1/600th from its original volume, similar to a large beach ball shrinking down to a tiny golf-ball!
- All thirty wells were completed a full 27 rig-months ahead of schedule.
- Some of the pre-fabricated modules weighed up to 1000 tons, that’s around 700 family cars! (average 1500 kgs).
- The three platforms combined will produce 2.9 billion cu ft of gas per day, four thousand hot air balloons! (average vol. 77000 cu).
- The gas flows to Ras Laffan under its own natural pressure, no need for pumps!.
- Qatargas 2 saw the fastest wells ever drilled in the North Field. The record now stands at 14,500 feet of rock in just 33 days, nearly 20 feet per hour!.
- Over 4,500 coral colonies were carefully detached from the seafloor, numbered, tagged and moved to new locations. 18 months later, 96% were not only alive but flourishing.
- Even though the main pipelines are over 34” wide and made from carbon steel almost an inch thick, they still bend and curve at remarkable angles.
Shipping and Vessels:
- The Q-Max will carry 9.5 million cu of LNG that’s enough to fill London’s Royal Albert Hall, three times over.
- By the delivery of the last ship in July 2010, Qatar’s large LNG vessels will constitute 18% of the total LNG ships in the world’s fleet representing 25% of the world’s LNG shipping capacity.
- The Q-Flex and Q-Max vessels reduce the cost of transportation by approx 30% whilst reducing CO2 emissions by 30% per tonne of cargo carried.
- A Q-Max has 51,000 installed horsepower engine for propulsion which is equivalent to over 100 Ferrari F430 sports cars.
South Hook Receiving Terminals:
- South Hook is Europe’s largest LNG terminal.
- South Hook will have the capacity to provide 20% of the UK’s gas needs.
- Qatar’s total reserves could meet all the UK’s gas needs for 250 years.
- 1.5 million cubic metres of earth were removed to provide a hollow in which the five storage tanks would be less visible.
- Environmental Vision in the Energy Sector 2008, Qatar Today Green Awards, Doha.
- Best Project 2008, Excellence in Energy Awards, Dubai.
- HSE Milestone Award 2007, NPCC Annual HSE and Quality Day, Abu Dhabi.
- Best HSE Support Award 2007, NPCC Annual HSE and Quality Day, Abu Dhabi.